Thursday, March 5, 2015

Chapter 6


I found this chapter particularly interesting.  The focus on relationships is something that everyone can relate to, and the section on bullying at the end is certainly a topic that educators look to understand.

Early on the information presented for each type of mindset included:
Growth Mindset = a person who values communication, is committed, focuses on having to work constantly on the relationship, understanding, giving …
Fixed Mindset = people who feel judged or labeled by rejection, wants revenge or to blame, want to feel better about self …
I was not surprised by the information because I continue to feel like the book takes positive traits/characteristics and labels that as growth mindset, and it takes negative traits/characteristics and labels that as fixed mindset.  I am beginning to believe that everyone has a little bit of each within their personality.  For example, a person may have a growth mindset when they interact with family and friends and a fixed mindset when they interact with coworkers.  Do you believe that the mindset can change based on the topic/situation/experience? 

As for the part on bullying, I found this quote to be alarming, “But it’s startling how quickly average, everyday kids with fixed mindsets think about violent revenge” (Dweck 167).  I also struggled with this quote, “To make matters worse, schools often do nothing about it. This is because it’s often done out of sight of teachers or because it’s done by the school’s favorite students, such as the jock” (Dweck 165).  I do not want to say too much about this but look forward to a discussion on this particular portion of chapter 6. 

3 comments:

  1. Dawn, I definitely agree with your take on mindsets changing due to the situation. Personally I know that I go in and out of fixed and growth mindsets depending on past experiences or what is going on at the time. Within a day I think people probably switch back and forth several times based on the context of situations they are in.
    As far as the bullying part of the chapter I didn't necessarily agree with everything she said. However, I do know that a lot of the bullying takes place out of sight because the predators do not want to be caught. I always discuss this with my classes especially during our safety unit as well as when any bullying circumstances come up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were interesting comments by the moderators of chapter 6. They each spoke to the segments of the chapter that I found intriguing and had the most questions. Mrs. Postilli addressed the relationship aspect, and Dawn Dyminski zeroed in on the bullying segment. I can honestly say, as I finished the chapter, I looked at it has having these two distinct sections. Section one dealt with relationships, the other bullying. I know there was probably a lot more in this chapter- but to me this is what it boiled down to. I agree with Mrs. Postilli, when she comments on Dweck: “This myth is debunked by Dweck when she points out that, "a no-effort relationship is a doomed relationship." I get this, but I also know that even after 30+ years of marriage- I can be very fixed-minded about relationship things and communication! I agree with Dawn when she says we all have a little of each in our personality. I think Dawn is right, maybe the ebb and flow of these mind sets surfaces as we need them to, in a long-standing relationship? Although, I think I am for growth mind-set at work and more fixed-mind set with my family…is this odd?!

    But, as an educator, it was the section on bullying that really intrigued me. I was hoping this chapter would hold some answers for us. I was disappointed that it did not, not really. Did anyone else feel this way? It was frustrating, I guess because we are always looking for answers and fixes and there doesn’t seem to be one…bullying is still a huge problem. I wish the answer was as easy as to teach the victim to have a growth mind set when dealing with the bully, as with Darla’s example on page 169. I was disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too was disappointed that the bullying section was minimal and without real form and function here. You can teach kids growth mindset - but that doesn't take away the damage to their heart and soul....personal experience speaking.


    I do see some positive changes happening at Oliver with the PBIS in its 2-3 year here...Is it perfect - no. will Bullying ever be eradicated...I think no. Like it was stated before, it happens out of view by those who are seen as the coveted students...but can it be diminished and can the school environment get better - I have to believe that the answer is yes. I want to believe that once PBIS goes into a K-12 model with a solid more consistent model and clear expectation and clear social skills teaching for all kids..things will get better - I have seen improvements and I have hope.

    ReplyDelete